I went home to California.
I miss that place. It makes me nostalgic. I miss it more now... knowing that its still there, just how I remembered it, just as wonderful... yet I am so far away. There's something about the sun and the ocean and the palm trees and the dry heat....But mostly the people.... I miss them the most.
__________________________________________________________________
It was wonderful to be there and see my longtime best friend Jenny... and see her mission call letter! (signed by President Monson himself)
___________________________________________________________________
Since I don't yet have children of my own, I have to rely on the children of others to bring profound happiness to my life the way only children can. I was blessed to be able to witness the baptism of my nephew, Grant, and give the talk on the Holy Ghost at the event. While we were all waiting for Grant and his dad to get dressed, we were all asked to write a little note for Grant. I was sitting by his big brother, David. I was pondering on what to write on my paper and was surprised when David picked up his pen without hesitation. Curious, I glanced over to see what words he would give to his brother on his special day.
He wrote, "Dear Grant- You did great, just like me. Love, David".
I was impressed with the simplicity yet profound message of David's note. He had set the example for his younger brother by being baptized himself at the age of 8, and recognized the importance of that. He also knew that Grant had made a great decision in choosing to follow in his footsteps, and expressed joy in knowing that they were in this together, walking the path that Jesus has shown us.
All of my sisters are wonderful mothers, which I believe stems from the way our amazing mother taught us. (and of course my dad too.)
It was so good to see some of my nieces and nephews!
__
__________________________________________________________________
Lastly, I had the opportunity to honor and remember my wonderful grandfather,
Wallace A. Allred
(please excuse the poor picture quality.)
He passed away last week, at the age of 91, leaving his beautiful and faithful wife, 4 children, 13 grandchildren and many great grandchildren, to cry and laugh and reminisce about our dear grandpa, father, husband, and friend. My uncle John wrote a touching eulogy, and I wish I could paste the entire text here. My grandpa was a special man. A man of "steel velvet". He was a wrestler, a choir boy, a navy sailor, a coach, and a business man, but most of all, a family man. He had his priorities straight, and was a source of happiness, positivity, and light to those around him, even until his final days. I'm thankful he was able to be at our wedding last year and share so many special moments with me throughout my life.
At the funeral, I stood at the pulpit and sang "Be Still My Soul". It was a miracle in itself. (I woke up that morning with a sore throat and no voice at all. I could barely speak. But when I opened my mouth to sing, it somehow came out.) That song will forever remind me of my kind and gentle grandfather, and the peace we all felt through our Savior's love.
All I can say is that I'm thankful for eternal families and the knowledge I have of my Heavenly Father's merciful plan for all of His children. I know I will see my grandpa again someday. I know he is at peace now. And I know he left a great legacy of love and testimony.
It was a great opportunity to see all of my cousins who I love so much. ( I can't remember the last time we were all in one place!)
____________________________________________________________________
No comments:
Post a Comment