5.01.2012

goodwill goggles

My latest obsession is thrifting.

To those who say, 
"Why are you spending your afternoons meandering amongst collections of other people's old crap?"
I say, "Why aren't you?"



1. save me some dinero. bones. cash. benjamins. moola. (yeah, yeah, you can do outlets and coupons and shop clearance, etc. but nothing beats the thrift. except maybe dumpster diving, which I have been known to do, on occasion. no shame.)
2. save the planet (hello!? recycling is recycling.)
3. find unique, one-of-a-kind things
4. the stores are always there (unlike garage sales/flea markets/auctions/craigslisters)
5. its an adventure!

I find immense joy in wandering aisles alone with my thoughts, in smelly stores full of treasures untold. Each item has a history, a secret story that I like to guess at. And some are just waiting for new life to be breathed into them again. I guess my childhood affinity for The Little Mermaid infused in me the Disney redhead's love of whozits, whatzits and thingamabobs.

I have been pleasantly surprised to find lots of decent shopping options in the Boise area as well as lots of fun places to poke around in, albiet purchasing not recommended. Some were found online, but most were spotted while out an about on other errands. This was actually a great way for me to explore my new habitat.
I should make an interactive map of all the thrift/consignment/second hand/antique stores in the Treasure Valley, because I'm pretty sure I've been to all of them.
(mental note for upcoming pointless project)

Just Google "tips for thrift-store shopping" and you'll find a thousand ideas.

Me?
I say, just put on your goodwill goggles.
See things for the beauty of their past, and the potential of their future. If you only see the crap, look again.

And how about this-
See people for the beauty of their past, and the potential of their future. If you only see the crap, look again.


1 comment:

Lex said...

Love this Mary! I hope you got to peruse the Habitat for Humanity ReStore while you were in Champaign... it's one of my favs! We got our coffee table and maaaany kitchen appliances there.