Today I went to an activity with a bunch of great kids--They all have siblings with special needs. We read a book about an onion who doesn't want to be an onion. He wants to be sweeter, better looking, more desirable. So he tries to be an orange. But in the end, he finds that its terribly uncomfortable to be in someone else's skin. Also, he discovers that in the right light- he shines!
(what is the point of this story? i'm getting to it, i promise.)
I've definitely felt that way before...wishing I was skinnier, or had cuter clothes, or a was a better runner, more talented, more confident, or more artistic....the list goes on. (Not to say that I'm totally unsatisfied with who I am. I'm usually content...but I definitely have those moments of....coveting.)
I was talking to my older and wiser sister about this the other day.
Her family recently got 2 cute Boxers! She has always wished she was a DOG PERSON. She wished that she had those feelings that other people have about dogs, and that she just knew how to take care of them/train them, etc... When she saw other people with their dogs she wished she could do that (have one, love one... not let the drooling and shedding outweigh the satisfaction of their companionship)
Me: "Do you think it's foolish to try?--That you are just NOT a dog person, and you never will be? ...That you are what you are, and you should just be happy with it?"
Her: "No. I look at it as something I have just never tried to cultivate in myself, but if I try, maybe it will come out."
I LOVE YOU GINA!
I think that is a wonderful philosophy. Love being yourself. Find the light in which you can Shine! Be grateful for what you have, things you've been blessed with, and who you are.
But don't write yourself off either! Give yourself a chance to try new things, cultivate new talents, experiment, improve. (life would be boring if we didn't)
I guess my thoughts are best summed up with the words of another older and wiser person:
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
(this "Serenity Prayer" has been accredited to several different sources)
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
(this "Serenity Prayer" has been accredited to several different sources)
5 comments:
I love Gina. I love you too Mary. I think you both are wonderful. I'm glad you are my cousins.
I love your blogs. I appreciate your thoughts and ideas. We love you so much!!!
Thanks Mary. That was so nice. Exactly my thoughts. You will never know all of your talents until you try. Love your blog.
beautiful post. you are awesome!
Will you just keep writing post like these every day! I love your talent of expressing your thoughts...yes, I apreciate this since I often limit myself as well instead of cultivating...
Post a Comment