4.05.2011

why yeast takes faith


I'm afraid of yeast. The cooking kind.
I love to cook and bake, but I shy away from recipes that require it. Maybe its the minor control freak in me, but the idea of going through the painstaking processes of carefully choosing a recipe, mixing ingredients to an exactness, kneading and rolling in all the right proportions...and then simply plopping it on the counter and doing nothing?!... is horrific to me.
I end up nervously pacing, hoping against hope and crossing my fingers (and toes!) and checking it every 5 seconds
It's-Hurry up and wait.
It's-Plan and prepare, and then throw all caution to the wind.
It's-Work and do everything the best you know how, and then just let it go and hope that the Powers That Be will take care of the rest for you.
Hmm. Sounds suspiciously like Faith.

The best cinnamon rolls in the world (my mom's recipe) with from-scratch creamcheese frosting delighted our tastebuds after hours of backbreaking work.
I didn't take any pictures of mine, because we were too busy eating them. But here is a lovely one I found online...to help you fully appreciate the glory of my accomplishment. Well, me and the yeast did it together. Also, Jonny made the frosting.

We loved watching our church's worldwide conference this weekend and feeling uplifted and re-inspired. Missed it? Catch the sessions online, watch or listen in a katrillion different languages here. Don't know a darn thing about Mormons? Look here.


Also: easy hot fudge recipe for those sunday sundaes. :)

Hot Fudge Sauce by Betty Moloney c/o Nancy McNabb

6 T. butter

1/3 c. cocoa

1 t. vanilla

2 c. powdered sugar

1 c. evaporated milk

Melt butter slightly. Add sugar and cocoa. Add half of the milk gradually, stirring well to remove lumps; stir in remaining milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until it comes to a rolling boil. Cook and stir 5 minutes. Add vanilla.




No comments: