So.
I know you are sick of my seeming obsession with weather. But. I can't help it. Not when it affects my every living breathing moment.
Oh, drama!
Luckily, our little townhome is heated for FREEEEEEE since we live in this awesome co-op sitch.
But. When it comes time to, you know, go outside...yes. Weather is important.
After spending about 40 mins trying to get our wee little car out of its icecave (read: parkingspace), a spin-fest which culminated in my manly man basically using brute force to pick it up and carry it out of the very large snowy/icy patch of road....I decided it would be best not to bother with it this morning as I could not risk being late to my 8am exam.
Enter: bus.
Yup.
I trucked out there just in time to catch the 7:22 and you know what? I actually enjoyed the ride to campus. Its not so bad if you find a window seat near the back where you can stare out and the landscape and daydream and listen to the low rumbly hum of the engine.
My trusty ol' Ugg boots carried me over drifts of crusted ice-topped snow and across stretches of iceskating rinks (read: sidewalks/parkinglots).
I made it through my exam in record time, amazed that I remembered anything I shoved into my brain last night and early this AM.
And then I stepped out into the SUNSHINE and took a deep breath and you know what? I smiled. (ok, it wasn't THAT deep of a breath. it was more like a little choke, you know? 'cause the freezing air was much too much for my warm little lungs)
But I did smile. Knowing I had 20 minutes till the next bus came to take me back home, I stepped into the coffee shop across the way and ordered a small hot cocoa with whip and sprinkled some cinnamon on top. I sat at a small painted table in a patch of sunlight and stared out the window for a while, making a mental to-do list but trying desperately not to.
Then I plugged into my iPod- and let me tell you...usually I do not approve of this. People walking around with those things constantly in their ears are not only incurring hearing loss but missing out on interacting with the world, on fully participating in the sensory experience that is life!
But.
Today was a day that called for a soundtrack. And I never listen to music as I walk but I was living on the edge you know, taking the bus and all. So I found Rhapsody in Blue by George Gershwin, 1. in honor of beloved O'Hare Airport electric tunnel and 2. its a 15 minute song so I figured it was up to the challenge and could carry me through to the next bus. I stepped out into the crispiness and walked to the bus stop.
Please just try and listen to it and not stare off into the wild blue yonder hoping against hope and dreaming impossible dreams. It will surely lift your spirits and help you walk with confidence. I had to remind myself not to strut too much.
Even when I saw a bus (not my bus, incidentally) coming and clumsily downed the rest of my hot cocoa, throwing it in the trash, only to notice later small brown drippings on my mittens, hat, and jacket, I was not deterred from my goodmoodiness. For the hotchoc had served its purpose well and the last of it was the grainy part anyway and my insides were already warm and happy and a little chocolate never hurt anyone.
(Well, except maybe my dog. He ralphed 3 times yesterday…I’m surmising it was a bit of the ‘black poison’ he scarfed off the kitchen floor during our bakefest yesterday afternoon. But that’s beside the point. And he’s fine.)
So even when I got off the bus a stop too early and had to trek over the icy tundra (read: cornfield) to make it home, I was happy.
Because you know what?
I saw ski-tracks! And though the skier himself was gone, I know who it was. I spotted him last time we had a big storm, the morning after, you know. And naturally, he was cross-country skiing across the train tracks and into the cornfield…going to town? Who knows where. It doesn’t matter, does it? He was skiing! What a thrill.
Remember when I used to ski/snowboard? I could really use me some hills right about now.
AND, even though I got stuck getting out and coming into my parkingspot whilst en route to the good old Wally world for some supplies to make YW handouts, a couple of neighbor angels helped me on the out and I conquered the ice-walls on the in. Yes. I used my own two arms and a shovel to chip that stuff down to snowconeage and park my Fit safely at home once again before attempting to go out again for class. If only I had a garage...
Anyway, here is a happy list for you:
1. The sun is out. Feels like the first time in weeks.
2. This hat keeps me so warm:
5. Cooking good food in our little kitchen.
6. Tomorrow is Friday!
7. Friends are so lovely and precious.
8. I only have 5 weeks left of class. Forever!! (Exclamation!)
:)
1 comment:
That sounds like a pretty good day. :) You look so cute...I miss your face!
Post a Comment