Sometimes it just boggles my mind...
The wealth of information available at our fingertips, in a split second- on the world wide web.
The immediate satisfaction and constant availability of communication: cell phones, email, twitter, blogs, texting, skype.
Thousands of different TV channels...satellite, cable, optical fiber. And Tivo and DVRs, so you can watch those shows again...or 5 at once.
Science is advancing, medicine is discovering, mankind is progressing.
Its wonderful....
And horrible.
In this age of digital this and high-speed that...sometimes I think our minds are overwhelmed with input.
You can't even get your daily news without seeing three simultaneous screens, the ticker on the bottom, and flashes of commercials in-between.
Don't you ever wish you could sit for hours on the front porch swing and talk to someone...a real person...face to face...watch the sunset and sip lemonade?
I do.
Where are those days? The simpler life. The slower life. Handwritten letters, leatherbound books, homemade bread and traveling on foot.
The things that remind us of our grandmothers, of generations past... are they going to disappear completely?
I hope not.
Sure, modern things have been incredibly helpful in so many ways...I DO appreciate flushing toilets and jet planes. (and a number of other conveniences) But do you ever worry that its going to keep getting worse? Although Jonny assures me time and again that Marty McFly's 'hoverboard' is never going to happen, and we probably wont be seeing vacation spots on Mars anytime soon.... Do you ever worry that this skyrocketing electro age will eventually (if it hasnt already) be the cause of a plummeting quality of life?
Do you ever wonder if your kids are going to be so caught up in Ipods and videogames and texting and instant-messaging (and whatever other new-fangled things they have by the time they are teenagers...they'll think CD's are akin to records. wait, what are those?) .... Just, do you ever worry that they are going to miss out on REAL LIFE?
I guess it all boils down to time. Our society is obsessed with doing things fast, instant gratification, and multitasking. Time is money, after all. And here I am, wasting it.
....Just one of those things that keeps me up at night....Though we don't have any kids...And very odd coming from the wife of an Electrical Engineer....Also, I KNOW this is hypocritical of me. After all, this IS a blog....ugh.
1 comment:
Jonny could probably invent Marty Mcfly's hoverboard...
Post a Comment