6.15.2009

On my way

I'm on my way to finishing #18!

I think Jonny and I are both pretty good in the kitchen (him more-so than me), but we fall into ruts sometimes with meals and don't plan very well. So this past week was pretty exciting as I tried new recipes. It was my last week of no school/no work (aka. I actually had time to menu plan, grocery shop, and cook.) So I thought I'd make the most of it.
I bought some things at the store that I have NEVER BEFORE ventured to get:
  • jalapenos
  • organic molasses
  • fresh mushrooms (yes, you read that right)
  • raw steak (yikes)
  • sweet potatoes
  • arugula
I started spicing up our lives by changing up the breakfast routine- Jonny loves oatmeal every day, and I know it's good for you, but I have always found it too bland.
So I started breaking away from the same-old (sugar and milk) and topping it with almonds, strawberries, honey, vanilla yogurt, peaches....things like that. Wowza! The old mush was transformed. I LOVE oatmeal now.
Then I took my sister Loretta's advice and tried sweet potatoes. Yum! I used them to make home-made baked french fries and also cooked them baked-potato style.

Here are the other recipes I tried this week:
Cavatappi with Arugula Pesto and Cherry Tomatoes

Grilled Sirloin Skewers

Chicken Sandwich with Sundried-Tomato Vinaigrette


Spicy Blackbean Cakes (thanks natalie and josh!)

And for dessert:
Gingerbread Cake with Creamcheese Frosting and Lemon Sauce


It was quite the adventure! I made adjustments to them here and there to make them easier/cheaper/smaller portions to adapt to our needs. But overall they all turned out great and were delicious! I was pretty proud of myself. (also, note to all: i like mushrooms now. if they are fresh and in a good sauce. holy cow. never thought i'd say that one. who am i?)

I'd love to know any great, healthy, quick or cheap recipes that you have! PLEASE SHARE. Sisters? Especially you. I know you all have some up your sleeves.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I am so happy that you guys made spicy black bean cakes....Yumm...they are my favorite. I will have to do some thinking regarding a recipie for you!!