I have had long hair for a long time. But I have been thinking about cutting my hair for a while now. Jonny loves long hair. I love long hair- when its done. And as it gets longer and longer, the times when it gets "done" are fewer and fewer. Translation....the past few months my hair has been in a nasty bun almost every day.
As I thought about parting with my mane, I got a little sentimental, and started having second thoughts. So I made a "list" of cons from which to bolster my courage:
1. It takes WAY too long to style. I'm talking at least 20 minutes just to get it DRY. Then it still looks like a fluffy mess, and I am dripping with sweat.
2. Because of #1, I never take the time to style it. Hence the nasty bun mentioned previously.
3. I figured that the nasty bun didn't look very professional, and in my new life I have to look professional.
4. When my clinical instructor was talking about the dress and grooming code, she kept using the phrase "keep it under control" when talking about hair, and I swear she looked at me every time. (I admit my curled hair was looking a little wild that day, in all of this humidity)
5. I know I've always wanted to be a mermaid...but that's overrated. When am I going to walk around with shells on anyway?
6. There's something about being 21 and married in the "real world" that freaks people out. I figured an "adult hairstyle" would trick some people into thinking I'm old enough to be married.
7. Sometimes when I put on my shirt in the morning, my hair sticks out the armholes and looks like really long armpit hair. Funny? or gross.
8. I have always wanted to donate my hair. I almost did it once, when I was 16, but it wasn't quite long enough....so I figured its now or never.
9. Sometimes I feel like I'm all hair. Its everywhere. Its heavy and thick and hot. It falls in my food. I hide under it.
10. Hair grows back, right? Mine grows pretty fast actually. Pretty soon I'd be back to looking like this:

...In spite of all this...
I still wasn't sure if I reeeaaally wanted to cut it off.
The clincher came one night when I was awoken as I tried to turn over in my sleep and felt a hard tug on my head. I looked around to see that my hair was stuck...
...because Jonny was sleeping on it!
That was IT.
Yesterday I went from this:
To this! Welcome to the new me.
And I donated this pony to Children with Hairloss, a small organization in Michigan that gives hairpieces to families that have children with hairloss free of charge. Hopefully it makes someone happy.
:)
6 comments:
I love it! You look great Mary. You are a very brave girl.
That's so awesome! I love your new do, it fits you!
I LOVE IT! NICE new do for sure!!
Cute Mary! You look so good with short hair!
Wow I could never grow my hair out longer than my shoulders. In fact I get super annoyed when it is touching my neck. Love the haircut!
so cute Mary!!!
I have been wanting to cut my hair kind of too. It takes so long to do...I actually timed myself today and it took 21 min to do my hair and makeup. ha! I'm gonna try to wait until next summer, provided that I actually do my hair. I hate sloppy buns everyday too. Anyways, your hair looks great!!! Good job on being brave enough to do it!
Post a Comment