I typed "the midwest" into my google toolbar...searching for some meaning as I tried to imagine this place we would live. Wikipedia told me about the cultural overlap from neighboring regions, the history of the area, various names for it, language dialects, political trends and physical geography.
That last one... that's really the only one I know for sure.
Physical Geography. I had a lesson in that one. A three-day journey. Through 5 states.
-After many prayers and goodbyes and "last-times", we took one more picture in front of the apartment that served us well for the last (almost) year. We'll miss you little place- your funny smells and great views, and good location and wonderful friends.
-We started on our journey, blinking back tears...Jonny in the big yellow truck, me in the tiny white car. 1,434 Miles between us and our new home. I didn't want to forget the breathtaking mountains that provided recreation, beauty, and inspiration in our lives during our stay in Utah. For my nostalgia, and your enjoyment...I risked taking the occasional picture while driving.
-Then Iowa.
-Then we drove across the Mississippi River, and my heart fluttered a little when I saw this sign:
WE MADE IT!
So here we are, in the Heartland. Flat and green and humid...big trees, big bugs and big jars of mayonnaise. Corn fields, farmer's markets and windy thunderstorms. Our new home.
3 comments:
AHHH! Your new home looks lovely. :) I'm going to miss you, but I know you will love Illinois so much. Be sure and post pics of your cute new place soon!
I am so happy you are closer to us now!!!! YAY! Also, you picture taking skills are amazing...especially while driving. It looks like it was a scenic drive.
that is not iowa. there are no corn fields. or baseball fields.
ditto on natalie's quan about taking pictures while driving. you're a pro!
Post a Comment