
I'm very sorry to report...although I absolutely LOVE Disneyland, and Disney movies, "a dream is NOT a wish your heart makes when you're fast asleep". At least for me. I don't know why, but I have nightmares. All the time. I'd say at least once a week. And it's been like that for as long as I can remember. I'm sure those hideous things are not the wishes of my heart. Have you ever had one of those dreams that just leaves you feeling frazzled and it just stays with you for hours? After waking this morning from one of the most horrible dreams of my life, I decided to finally do a little research. What exactly are dreams? Why do we have the ones we do? What do they mean? Well, after a little poking around on the internet....basically, I found loads of internet sites claiming to be able to interpret my disturbing nighttime visions, very little useful information about what might be causing them, the history of dream theories, the importance of REM cycles, and and a few interesting facts. Such as: 12% of people dream in black and white! (Talk about an Alfred Hitchcock!)
Anyway, after all my musing, I determined that there is no reasoning behind it. And in my case, I'm a very happy and positive person, I didn't have a traumatic childhood (it was ridiculously good, actually), I don't have any huge stresses in my life right now, I don't have nasty images in my mind- (I stopped watching scary movies a while ago...and the darkest books I venture into are probably Harry Potter and Twilight). So I guess there are some hidden subconscious worries I have that are manifesting themselves in the most irrational ways! :( I pray for help every night before I go to sleep, and usually I'm alright, and wake smiling and excited to spend another day on earth...but every once in a while, those nightmares creep into my head and taint the beauty of my mornings. Maybe I should read Freud's The Interpretation of Dreams, but it seems a little too unbelievable and bogus to me.
Why can't I just dream of butterflies, rainbows and my handsome prince?
Any suggestions?
3 comments:
That is crazy Mary...I'm sorry you have nightmares! I go through weird cycles...for a few weeks I'll have crazy off the wall dreams, then normal-ish ones, then scary ones...Every once in awhile I have a nightmare and they usually have the same theme. Dreams are so weird!!!
Mary you and Josh need to talk about this. Seriously, he has psycho, dark dreams at least once a week. Isn't it weird how such disturbing things can come from your mind? I had my first nightmare (that I can remember) last week...I sure hope these dark dreams are not contagious! I try to think my happy thoughts as I fall asleep.
Those may be inherited nightmares from your ancestors. Not only you inherit your physical body but also memories of your ancestors. There are a number of scientific studies reporting this fact. For instance Gulf War veterans' children experience PTSD, (and nightmares) significantly higher than other kids although they are raised in quite peaceful environments.
Post a Comment