
I love summertime! Since moving to our new apartment, we have started a fun tradition with our friends who live close by. Every Monday evening around 6, Jenn and Stephen walk the short few minutes over to our "front yard", where there is a little standing grill and an old picnic table sitting on the grassy area under some large fruit trees. We love our new little place, and its location at the very end of the complex makes it ideal for peace and quiet, and fun little gatherings. We take turns providing the charcoal, each couple brings out their food for the night, and we fire up the grill!
So far we have made hot dogs, spicy kabobs, deluxe cheeseburgers, pork chops, marinaded chicken (in various flavors), and what I call "hobo packs" (meat, potatoes, and veggies all wrapped in tin foil). These 'meat nights' are a fun time to catch up with our friends, and have an excuse to eat good food and hang out outside.
Sometimes its an eat-and-run situation, when other duties are pressing...but on nights where we have a little extra time, our activities/competitions have ranged from hitting golf balls to throwing watermelon rinds to shooting hoops. (I have to admit, I am much better at downing a hotdog than sinking a shot. )
For our next encounter with the flames, I am craving steak! I was in the process of looking up grilling recipes, and pulled this quote from Grilling 101 by Kelly Brant:
"The most primitive style of cooking--meat roasted over an open flame--can't be beat. You can pan-sear and broil all you want, but nothing compares to a grilled steak. The combination of a smoky, caramelized crust and a tender, juicy interior is what grilling beef is all about."
This mouthwatering description has my tastebuds very excited!
No comments:
Post a Comment