It started yesterday. The first flurries waited until we awoke to grace the sky with their presence. I saw them through the kitchen window and gave a little hoot. The first snow of the season always seems magical to me. It is incredible that the vast grey sky remembers how to make those fat fluffy flakes after such a long stint of blue blue blue and sun. We ventured out for a quick errand with friends, and snapped a photo on the way back to our car- Everett's first snow!
Today, we stayed snuggled inside with our sniffly noses, and cuddled under blankets with warm drinks... while the great sky sifted more and more and more powdered sugar down to earth. There was something mesmerizing about watching the soft, constant drift of snowflakes. Looking up, it's impossible to tell where they originate. I squinted my eyes, trying to track the flakes that magically form in invisible mist and appear at an indistinguishable place in the air. It strikes me as incredible that something so tiny can accumulate over time into large piles and knee-deep oceans. The bushes bent to the ground, heavy. Trees were lined with impossibly balanced frosting. Roofs became coated with thick layers of puff. Icicles formed and drip drip dripped down to the deck.
I told Everett all about the white stuff- how it's part of the water cycle, and all of the fun things we can do to play in it when he's a little bigger. And how, like much of awe-inspiring nature, it is full of beauty and danger. I love seeing him explore our world and learn every day. Everything is brand new in his eyes. I am blessed to be a witness to his discoveries.




No comments:
Post a Comment