Our immediate family has grown to 18 people (soon to be 19), and you know what? I gosh darn like every single one of them. I mean, of course I love them fiercely, but what's more, I actually like them. I like being around them. From my brother-in-law's laugh to the wisdom of my sister, the jokes from my nephew and the imagination of my littlest niece... each one is so different, and I appreciate the unique value every person brings to our clan. I'm so blessed to be a part of it.
One day, my nieces were acting suspiciously...giggling and whispering and leading me into empty rooms. Turns out they were doing a superb job acting as the distraction while a surprise party was gathering in another part of the house. I was thrilled to happen upon a surprise baby shower for our wee one!
...Living in Boise is wonderful. There are lots of things we love about it. And most days I'm very content to be in our little house with our little yard with my handsome Jonny and he's all I need in the world...
But sometimes I miss living in a house full of girls. Lately I have felt particularly needy for my tribe of women. My sisters, my mom, my aunties, my grandma, my friends, my nieces. The women who have shaped my life, who offer strength and support. My allies, my confidants, my role models. The girls- growing into women before my eyes, and the ladies- strong from lives of sacrifice and service. The people who can offer me love and advice in the way only a woman can. Each one a divine daughter, a queen in her own right.
But sometimes I miss living in a house full of girls. Lately I have felt particularly needy for my tribe of women. My sisters, my mom, my aunties, my grandma, my friends, my nieces. The women who have shaped my life, who offer strength and support. My allies, my confidants, my role models. The girls- growing into women before my eyes, and the ladies- strong from lives of sacrifice and service. The people who can offer me love and advice in the way only a woman can. Each one a divine daughter, a queen in her own right.
There is power in this tribe. We are spread across the globe, and my shower was a rare time when they were gathered around me in a single room.
There was a moment when I was sitting in a chair, bags filled with soft, tiny precious baby items and puffs of pastel tissue paper piled around my feet, and I had to fight back tears.
Here was my tribe, spanning generations, celebrating as I experience this significant part of womanhood.
Rejoicing in the new life that will join our family, after years of waiting and hoping. I couldn't believe it was for me.
It was almost too wonderful. It was as if I was floating above the scene, unable to ground myself into my body for that moment in time. I'm thankful for their efforts and thoughtfulness to make it happen.
I hope they know how much it meant to me.



1 comment:
Thank you for this wonderful share. I love the way you express yourself. I love you for you being you. Dad
Post a Comment