12.10.2009

10 days

I've been thinking a lot about why people live where they live. Some move for a job, some move for school, some stay where they are planted, some run as far away as they can. Some live for adventure, others for security. I've been asking myself- why in the world would millions of people choose to inhabit a land so icy and harsh? Or, so isolated and sleepy? Or, so dangerous and unpredictable?...Just as some may ask why people would choose to occupy a land of heat and smog?
The answer is always the same. Its home.
I've moved around a bit, and my family is now spread all over the globe. But California will always be my home. Its where I was born, its where I went to visit my grandparents and cousins, its where I spent my teenage years, its where Jonny fell in love with me, and where we were married. In 10 days, we are going home.
I love you Bing Crosby, but this year, I'm dreaming of a brown Christmas. With family.

10 days till our plane touches down in the blessed desert of California.
10 days till I am in my mom's kitchen baking goodies.
10 days till Jonny is playing hide and seek with the kids.
10 days till our arctic coats can lay unworn for a while.
10 days till our brains can take a break from auditory processing and angular momentum.
10 days till we can smooch in front of the temple where we got married.
10 days till we can fantasize about our dream home (pool and palm trees included).
10 days till I can have some quality girl time with my mom and sisters.
10 days till the family talent show, singing carols, and various other traditions take place.
10 days.

10 days till a reenactment of this: (plus everyone 2 years older and wiser, and perhaps in some fancier/more festive clothing.)
!

1 comment:

Emma said...

I'm sad we are going to miss you guys. I think we are traveling on the same day. I hope the last few days of school go well.