
Yay! I made my first effort in being more environmentally friendly this week. I was so excited!
I used to think that being "green" was only for earth-loving hippies.
You know them.
The ones that wear vegan shoes, meditate to become one with nature, protest for various endangered species, and make (supposedly) edible things out of tofu and wheatgrass.
Maybe you've had secret thoughts, wishing you could pull off the hippies' natural style, obtain their social and political awareness, or have the flexible body of a Kashi-eating, yoga-doing, rock-climbing environmentalist. (i know i have)
But the point is, everyone should be aware of the environment, and the impact our daily living (both as individuals and communities) have on its condition. We all live on earth. We all need to do our part to keep our world a healthy, beautiful place for our children and grandchildren to live.
I definitely don't know everything, but I do know I want to learn, and I want to do SOMETHING.
Here are some neat resources to check out:
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
National Geographic: Environment
Why Protect the Environment for Others?
25 Tips to Make Your Apartment Eco Friendly
This is what I read about plastic grocery bags:
"Environmental groups estimate that 500 billion to 1 trillion of the bags are now used worldwide every year. Critics of the bags say they use up natural resources, consume energy to manufacture, create litter, choke marine life and add to landfill waste."
The plastic bags we do have, we save and reuse for other things (ie. small trash liners),
But this week, I bought 4 Green ReBags at our local grocery store. They cost $1 each. I fit all my groceries for the week into the four bags, which are made of completely recycled materials! I'll just keep them in my trunk, to use each time I shop now. :)
(can you tell that i'm really proud of myself?)
Please do something! We can all do a little. I'm not running out today to buy organic bedding, or planting a mini-farm in our office, but we can all do some recycling, open a window, or turn off the TV.
Please do something! We can all do a little. I'm not running out today to buy organic bedding, or planting a mini-farm in our office, but we can all do some recycling, open a window, or turn off the TV.
*For those of you at BYU, if you have the time... I would really recommend taking Environmental Biology, Bio150 from Dr. Richard Terry. Great class.
2 comments:
We use cloth shopping bags, too, and I'm never going back. WAY better than plastic.
IM SO BEHIND ON YOUR BLOG! My feeder doesn't tell me when you've updated because you are private now. DONT LET ME FORGET AGAIN LIKE THAT. Im so excited for all the new things that are happening for you and Jonny. Good luck in Illinois.
Post a Comment