6.24.2008

Death of an old friend

Today one of my most faithful companions left me for a better place. We had been together for over 14 years! I was riding my bike in a crosswalk in front of the Wilkinson Student Center and another driver was making a left turn and she didn’t see me. I tried to swerve out of the way but it was too late. I heard a loud scream (Mary) and then a crunch. Next thing I knew I was on the hood of a Mazda Protege, and then on the pavement. Obviously I didn’t want to stay in the road so I got up and carried my trusty bike off the road. The girl got out of the car and asked if I was ok, and that was the first time I thought about checking to see if I was hurt. Luckily I only had a small scrape on my ankle. By this time a guy walked over and handed me a phone and told me it was 911 dispatch. The lady on the other end asked if I was ok and hurt and she told me that paramedics were on the way. And then I herd the sirens. It was two police cars (BYU and Provo) followed by a red ambulance. The police men talked to me and I told them what happened. The paramedics came over and made me sit down while they checked me out. After that it was pretty much over. I lifted my broken bike onto my shoulder and carried it timidly across the street and up the hill to a bike rack.

Later, I took it to Outdoors Unlimited to have it checked out. The frame was bent beyond repair. My trusty friend took most of the force and saved my left leg. Thanks to my old blue friend, together, we've flown off jumps, climbed mountains and hills, raced down sidewalks and streets, and been in loads of wrecks. Today was our last ride together, but at least we went out with a bang, or I should say crunch!

Lessons learned:

Wear a helmet (I wasn’t wearing one and I got lucky)
Say morning prayers (I had extra protection)
Don’t trust other drivers!

3 comments:

Briann said...

WOW! You are so lucky that you didn't get hurt! Heavenly Father was sending you his angels!

Daniel J. Neeley said...

Yeah, glad to know you came out of it okay. I'm sure it could have been much worse. It is tough to loose a bike. Mine decayed slowly from rust while I had to store it in the carport. I have yet to replace it.

Natalie said...

"the almost death of a brother" is what I would have called this. Talk about scary jonny. Wear your helmet!!!

PS I am glad you are safe.