I'm a bargain shopper. My dear mom taught me that (with a little creativity), a girl can still look snazzy shopping the clearance racks, and that home furnishings from Ross can be pretty classy and unique.
So, it only makes sense that I carry this over to my entertainment world:
FREE
and 2 for 1
and the like, catch my attention. Whether it be a cup of hot chocolate or tickets to an event, deals are the best way to date.
Jonny taught me this when we were very first dating. Using the handy-dandy BYU Starving Student card, which features tons of deals on local venues from restaurants to entertainment, we began in our "cheap" way. (No, I'm not being paid to advertise for the card, but maybe I should be...)
Unlike most girls who may have scoffed at their date paying less than "full price", (or as Lucy Ricardo would say-when Ricky bought her a mink stole for a bargain-"I want people to think you love me RETAIL! Not WHOLESALE.") I swooned at my penny-pinching prince and marveled at his creative way of making the best dates out of little money. I was impressed that he was on a budget, and had the nerve to stick to it, even whilst trying to impress his future wife.
For example, one of our very first (and very best) dates was to get 2 for 1 sandwiches to go, head down to the local outdoor theater where he paid (with a coupon), for our entrance to see the "Orem Idol" singing contest, and then a showing of Superman III on a huge screen while snuggling and munching on our half-price picnic.
The tradition has carried on, and this January was filled with fun dates for us two lovebirds.
Living in a college town has offered us many opportunities to do things for less! If we keep our eyes peeled, we can find some of the greatest deals.
Some of our recent adventures:
- The Utah International Auto Show (7$ to see/sit in new models from all makers)
- Night snowboarding (at Brighton Ski Resort)
- Watching 1$ New Releases (courtesy of RedBox)
- A side-by-side run and hot-tubbing (at 24 Hour Fitness)
- "Progressive Dinner" (picking up free things here and there to make a meal)
Disclaimer: Both of us have our weak moments where we like to splurge, obviously. They usually have something to do with ice cream.
1 comment:
haha I so know what you're talking about. My favorites have been those nights where we run around getting free stuff on our starving student card and buy fun things at the dollar tree. You know you love 'em and life is good when you have fun doing absolutely nothing. :)
Post a Comment