psssst: this is a small sample. we have 300+ pictures from this weekend.
Oh this weekend. I could write a book about this weekend.
I could write a book about only the food we ate this weekend.
But this will have to do for now:
Sisters:
Shaeli
Loretta
Heidi
Gina
Mom
Me
Friends:
Jenny
Natalie
Derik
Food: mmmmmmmmmm
basil pesto
cheese ravioli
french bread
caesar salad
santa maria style tri-tip
barbecue sauce
fruit salad
german chocolate cake
peanut butter cup ice cream
dark chocolate velvet ice cream
refried beans
mexi rice
pork tamales
tacos
enchiladas
redvines licorice
peanut m&m's
pretzel m&m's
grasshopper cookies
chicken lettuce wraps
cantaloupe
ghiradelli chocolate squares
cracklin oat bran
san luis sourdough bread
garlic and sesame naan
butter chicken
pita chips
tandoori chicken
spicy chicken
jasmine rice
lentils
carrot dessert
...
Did I miss anything? I'm sure I did. Is it any wonder I ate myself sick?
Activities:
- Il Divo party
- Shopping spree game
- My favorite things
- Ladies-only tombola
- Belly dancing
- Baby shower for Loretta
- Twilight b-day party for Mom
- Pedicures
- Chinese massage
- Chocolate tasting: (Camel's milk chocolate. Yes, you read that right. It was delicious and ridiculously expensive. Mom brought it back from Dubai, the only place in the world that sells this stuff.)
- Swimming in the backyard
- Double dutching
We were spoiled all weekend. We crammed in every bit of girly fun we could, and still made time to lounge around and stay up late giggling and talking.
Thanks to beautiful loving, generous, creative, fun sisters who made this annual event the best ever. (this is our 4th year and it is a wonderful tradition.)
Thanks to great friends who made time to stop by amidst our (admittedly) insane schedule of events and eating.
I always have to catch my breath when I walk into my parents house. It is so beautiful. I love that house. But Bakersfield doesn't really feel too much like home anymore. Its familiar, but not comforting. Its my past...it echoes vaguely with memories and dulled images of years gone by. There were more tumbleweeds than I remembered, but I still love the swimming pools and the palm trees and the dry heat.
I cherished this time I had with my family and some friends. I soak them in. I am growing up, I think. I was very contemplative as I took off into the sky after saying goodbye to my mom at our tiny airport. The sun was setting behind the mountains and the sky was a perfect gradient of colors- bloodred to bright orange, rosey pink and a dusty yellow fading into the hazy blue that is the polluted sky of the drought in a California summer.
Life is strange. Things are changing. I was overwhelmed with emotion at both ends of the spectrum. My heart was heavy. Lets just say I'd seen it all. I was ready to close my eyes.
Unfortunately, that didn't happen. The dark night was spent on a cross continental red-eye flight, where the extra inches of legroom in my lucky exit row seat didn't remediate my restless leg situation and the resultant sleeplessness. At least I got to walk through my all-time favorite part of the Chicago O'Hare airport at 4 am. The tunnel connecting the C and B terminals. It reminds me of my psychedelic childhood, during which my little legs walked through this tunnel many many times, bleary-eyed from our international flights, on our way home to the west coast to visit the aunties and my grandparents. Over the Atlantic and through the woods, to grandmother's house we go. This time, I literally laughed out loud with delirious happiness as I descended into its colorful depths. Lets just say I was very relieved to see my smiling husband and collapse into his arms after then waiting a couple of hours in a freezing, desolate waiting room for my 6:15 thrill-ride airport shuttle back to Champaign, (the tired driver swerved back and forth across the freeway multiple times in the course of our 4 hour drive), where he picked me up on campus, took me home and promptly plopped an exhausted me in bed.
Man, I'm wimpy. Where have my rock solid travel skills gone? I guess I'm rusty. Though, I would like to say in my defense that I was able to quickly and effectively navigate my way to an area of the large airport I'd never been, without so much as pausing to read a board or ask a question. My scanning eyes quickly caught all the signs and I was able to march straight there unaffected. I've still got that, at least. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment