Feeling Nostalgic

Today is Pioneer Day! But there is nary a handcart or a bonnet in sight, here in central Illinois. I miss Utah. (did I just say that?) Yes, I do. I miss the mountains and I miss my friends. I miss being closer to family. I miss being able to walk to the temple. And being able to drive to California in a day. I miss being in the place where I made so many wonderful memories. I miss celebrating pioneers and the countless sacrifices they made for us.
Lately I've been. . .
Thinking About Life

I've been reading The Screwtape Letters, by C.S. Lewis. I don't particularly like how people quote him as if he were a prophet (because he's not), but I do appreciate his immense talent for writing and his insights on life and God. Its an interesting and thought-provoking read.
But more than this is the pondering I've been doing about: who I am and who I want to become, what life is all about and the purpose of it...and why I believe what I believe. All of these questions have come about because I left the bubble. Now we no longer live in 'Mormon world'... I had forgotten what it was like to be frequently questioned about my beliefs. I've gotten a lot of questions recently. And I've been praying to be able give the right answers.
Here is what I've learned:
1. It pays to just be brave and be honest, no matter what.
2. The Spirit can put words in your mouth when you don't know what to say.
3. I definitely, without a doubt, know that the Church is true.
Lately I've been . . .
Loving My Husband
This picture is one I took in Florence. (wow, that was a romantic trip) We've been going on bike rides together, enjoying the beauty of this green Illinois summer. I am so thankful for a wonderful man who serves me. He is constantly thinking of me, doing kind things for me, and making sacrifices for me. I love him because he leaves me notes with scripture verses on them. I love him because he calls 5 days in advance to ask me on a date (be ready at 7!). I love him because he waits up for me to get home from work so we can eat ice cream together. I love him because he is so supportive and keeps me going every day.
Lately I've Been. . .
Learning Stuff

I guess that's good, right? Jonny and I talk about how sometimes we feel like our brains are completely saturated, that nothing else can fit inside. I heard someone say once that "the more you learn, the more you realize that you still have a lot to learn" (or something like that). Anyway, I'm definitely feeling that right now. I'm learning stuff at my job (Its going much better, by the way), and I'm learning A LOT of stuff at school. But I also know that I have so far to go! I love learning and expanding and growing. But sometimes growth hurts. . .Because things (in this case, me) have to be stretched to their limit, or broken down and then built up again, stronger.
Lately I've Been. . .
Longing for Someone
Meet Ollie. He needs a good home. I've become crazy looking at Petfinder.com because I want a dog so much! But I can't have one. Almighty Landlord says no. Remember our fish? His name was Agua. And sadly, he joined the ranks of the brave fish swimming in heavenly toilets. Now we are petless... and I am fighting off the urge to have a companion, to nurture something, to feel some sort of lifeform in our apartment (the mold on the sour cream lid doesn't count). Just kidding! But for real... isn't he cute? I know, I know, I'm just scratching a proverbial itch that cannot be remedied. (at least for now)
2 comments:
you're so deep Mary :) I know what you mean about moving out of the bubble...when i went back to florida, people would gape at me and wonder why I wanted to get married. It was hard to adjust to all the questioning again. But I'm sure you're doing great! I miss you tons!
GET HIM.
Post a Comment