12.08.2008

13.1 Round 3

Today I decided to run ANOTHER half-marathon. And to train through the winter, AGAIN. It is currently 35 degrees and snowing. Eeek! (Think burning lungs, frozen toes, and runny nose)

This will be my third half-marathon... and I still say "I AM NOT A RUNNER." I don't particularly enjoy running. I've been a swimmer my whole life, and I'd much rather be in the water. But apparently I'm an amphibian because I have sprouted legs.



The first half-marathon was a challenge set forth by my runner sister, to have all 4 of us sisters train for and participate in one together. It was an awesome experience, running on Surfside Beach in Texas....but the 3 months leading up to it, I was here in Utah, running in the snow. I promised myself I'd NEVER do that again.

Then last year I got roped in again. My husband's family(cousins, aunts, uncles) has this awesome tradition of running the Canyonlands Half together in Moab every March. I knew it would be amazing to train with my husband and cross the finish line side-by-side. So, as the newest member of the family, I joined the club and trained through the winter, AGAIN. I promised myself I'd NEVER do that again.

Here I am, another year gone by, and chatter about the Canyonlands comes up again. My first instinct was NO WAY! I promised myself I'd NEVER do that again. But somehow, perhaps after reflection about my tightening holiday waistline and desperate need for motivation to exercise, I find myself preparing to train through the winter, ONE LAST TIME...

And I'm actually excited. Excited to train, to run together, to work towards a goal, and to get in better shape!

I'm still too wimpy to brave the snow. Any suggestions for not dying of boredom while on the treadmill for 10 miles?

5 comments:

Courtney said...

I also ran 3 half marathons! And trained for 2 of them during the winter. I actually liked training on the treadmill for the first one...I watched VH1 at the gym. I remember my treadmill shutting off after an hour, then I had to restart it and keep going to get 10miles. It was crazy, but I have good memories about it!
Good Luck!!! Trust me, when you have kids, it's not that easy to workout!

Cate said...

Wow! That's dedication!!! Good luck :)

Katie C Kirkham said...

I have no advice for you but I can say....WAY TO GO!

(Emmy kind of has a strawberry blonde tint to her hair...we'll see when its starts growing more!)

Hows grad school stuff going?

Briann said...

Your Awesome Mary! I have NEVER been an athlete, and lack that dedication!

Natalie said...

You go girl!!! ANd I think you are amazing if you can train on a treadmill--I don't think I'd last one week :).