To celebrate turning 13 months old (May 7th), Everett got his first haircut. My sweet friend and hairdresser Katelyn was kind enough to do it in her home. I brought him a special treat- a lollipop! And he sat happily like a champ while she quickly and expertly snipped off his little baby mullet. The sticky drool and hair clippings eventually collided in a nasty mess! But it was worth it to keep him still and happy during the traumatic event. I was the only one traumatized. He grew up right in front of my eyes. My cute baby was suddenly a handsome boy. You bet I kept a lock of hair in a little envelope. I've been surprised to find that I'm highly emotional about some things, and yet very logical about others when it comes to this motherhood gig. I think I will never cease to be amazed and surprised by my children.
UPDATE: Everett's hair has gone through some big changes in his short life. He started out with a head full of dark brown locks, the top of which fell out promptly at his 1 month mark, leaving him partially bald, or what I call a "cul de sac". The rest of it slowly thinned and lightened to match the hair that eventually grew back on top. The back/bottom continued to grow stringy and long- like it was here before the cut. After that initial cut it grew back, and the summer sun bleached it blonde! While visiting more humid climates, that length turned into the most tender curls. Just as I was contemplating the wonders of hair gel, he began a strange habit of pulling it out! He pulled out all the curls in the back and just the right side. We trimmed the left side to match the length, though its a thick patch compared to the thinned-out job he did! Currently (at 16 months old), he has that strange, blonde 'do and we still think he is the most adorable thing.
![]() |
| This photo shows Ever holding a $20, but Katelyn wouldn't accept any money for her work! |







No comments:
Post a Comment