"Birth was and will always be the most commonplace of miracles, an event at once familiar and phenomenal, timeless and immediate, briefly making angels of us all."
-Call the Midwife
Dearest Everett,
At 2:15am on April 7th, 2014, I held you in my arms for the very first time.
Through the blur of activity I heard Jonny's deep voice say to the room, 'we have a boy'.
A boy!
And then a soft whisper near my cheek, 'it's Ever'.
And you were perfect.
---
After months of debate, we had narrowed it down to 5 precious names we both loved. Two girl choices and three for boys. The names arrived at the hospital tucked safely in my wallet, written on a notecard.
When we checked in on Saturday evening for an induction at 41 weeks, we could only imagine the joy and pain the next few days would bring. I had a sense that I was joining with a worldwide sisterhood of women who have experienced the physical, emotional and spiritual miracle of growth and new life. And yet- all else faded away as I focused only on you, and the gratitude and awe I felt at your existence.
We worked very hard for 30 hours, through the surge and strength of contractions that overtook me like wave after wave on a rolling sea. The strong arms of your daddy literally carried me through the long stretch of time. I sent my love and prayers to you, as you were struggling, shaping, and slowly moving towards the world.
And when you finally arrived with your soft skin and dark hair, you cried out and held onto my finger with your tiny hand. Relief and euphoria and wonder overwhelmed me as I cried. Endings and beginnings swirled together in that moment. And I was certain of one thing: you are eternal.
I love you.
Synonyms for 'ever': eternally, perpetually, constantly, continuously, always.







5 comments:
Howdy Cuz,
If I didnt say it before, congrats on the birth of Everest. I am so happy for you guys.
Beautifully written, congrats!
I am so happy for you. Thank you for sharing your photos and story with us. We can't wait to meet your sweet baby.
Oh Mary, tears rolled as I read this. Your pictures are beautiful and your words are so sweet. Love you! P s. Obsessed with Call the Midwives!
Mary these pictures are incredible!! And your story is so touching. It helps me feel better about my upcoming birth, I only have a week and a half until my due date :-)
Post a Comment