Him: "Honey, aren't you so happy to finally have a dishwasher in the kitchen?"
Her: "Yeah, except it reminds me of trying to get you to wash the dishes..."
As for our dishwashing status, we've recently become the proud owners of a 1977 Kitchenaid Portable Dishwasher. Its fabulous! The first time we used it, our kitchen may have become a bathtub. But that issue has (hopefully) been resolved. Hearing it swoosh and gurgle is music to my ears.
Also, apologies to my husband, who is actually a fine dishwasher himself.
And, apologies to anyone who reads the language featured above (possibly dutch?). I obviously made up that translation and cannot be held accountable for any errors therein.
As for pothole season, that's what they call spring 'round these parts.
The ice and snow have finally (finally!) melted and the rains have come... And washed away large amounts of soil, and large amounts of winterblues. The sun was out today! Green is sprouting everywhere! We inherited a lovely old barbecue grill which will shortly receive its first meat christening in our tiny backyard.
Looking around this week, I have counted an inordinate amount of free/used/repurposed/cheap items around our house. And you know what? I'm kinda proud of that. Does that make me a gross freeloader? I prefer to think of it as 'thrifty' and 'resourceful'.
Another proclamation: I'm done with classes. I'm done. with. classes. !
No more papers to agonize over, no more early mornings of studying for exams. No more sitting in class snacking on crackers and typing on my keyboard. No more reading of textbooks and memorizing flashcards late into the night. No more searching for articles online for hours at a time.
Yes, I will always have continuing education credits to keep up, I will attend lectures and do plenty of paperwork and research specific issues. But my formal university education is over. I (almost) have a Master's degree.
The passage of time is very strange. It goes by slowly, but always seems fast upon looking back. Why is that?
I'm a little scared. I have been a student my whole life. What do I do now?
I'll let you know how the transition goes.
On the last night of our last class, our group of 20 SLP MA students got together on campus, at Murphey's Pub. Its the kind of place where old friends meet over a pitcher of beer on a well-worn wooden table. Of course no beer for me. But the table was there, and the friends. We stayed and chatted for a few hours...surprised at the haste and abruptness with which our time together has come to an end. We reminisced about our first summer together, 2 years ago when we were all bright eyed and bushy-tailed. And we commiserated over the unknown future to which we are all being propelled.
So far, I'm 4 days in to my full-time school internship at Stratton Elementary. I love the kids. They crack me up. The SLP I'm working with is fantastic. I already have loads of stories.
And... I already miss taking naps, doing errands in the middle of the day, and eating snacks whenever I want.
Working full-time is overrated.
By the way, I use the word "working" very loosely here. As in, "I will work with her on a group project", or "I worked in my garden yesterday". Notice the common trend? Work= a gratis. For free. No moola earned. Just pure valuable experience. Yes. Lovely, isn't it? I get to "work" until August like this. And pay tuition to the university for the classes I will not be taking. Hoorah!
Jonny works full time. In a research lab on campus. Still. I'm so proud of him. And he's looking for new jobs. All over the place. Who knows where we'll end up? Not us. That's for sure. But in the meantime, he's enjoying riding this puppy on the sunny days:
His Christmas present from my parents and I. It's a new TREK. His babybicicleta. Which now resides on its hanging hook on the wall, to free up precious real estate on our floor for things like guitars and ottomans and other items of more importance. I dusted off the ole geetar this week. Maybe I'll have another sloppily recorded song for you in the near future.
Meanwhile, we are enjoying spending time together this spring, looking forward to May 15th, and praying for the people in Japan. And for the shocks on my car.
Happy St. Patrick's Day. Here is an Irish blessing for you, courtesy of my cousin Aimee:
"As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction."


1 comment:
I miss you! Had such a great time giggling and chattin' over those old wooden tables at Murphy's...
Where has the time gone? I really have no clue--- all I know is I need more time to hang with you and Katie. Please tell Champaign and the Veld Family that I say HIIIIIII :) Miss all of you
Post a Comment