10.21.2008

Like a Child...

There are days when I feel as if "the daily grind" is going to grind me into dust. Especially during midterms! Although school is a dynamic, ever-changing beast, there are some routines: studying, class, tests, quizzes, labs, assignments, etc.etc.etc.... Plus work, and groceries and laundry and budgeting and grad school applications and all the other things life throws our way. Working towards our goals... overwhelms me at times, and in the never-ending planning for our future, it seems that I am just waiting and waiting for our life to start! Preparing, and stuck in this preparatory stage everlastingly.

When I get stuck in that dangerous..."I'll be happy when...this or that happens", That is when I have to step back and realize what is going on...What I have to be thankful for! And what I can fill my half-full cup up with...and then realize it is actually full to the brim and about to overflow. These are the days we will always remember, the times we'll tell our children and grandchildren about...The time for us to be selfish and have schedules full of things to advance ourselves educationally, vocationally, spiritually, physically. Sure I have responsibilities and obligations, but I still have spontaneity, a starving-student card full of great discounts, and my favorite guy to take me out! I have an amazing and loving family, and though they are far away, I have modern technology on my side. I have a supportive husband that I am absolutely crazy about, who is also my best friend. I have a great calling in a wonderful ward I am growing to love. I have the opportunity to go to a University- a very few percent of the world's population even get that chance. (And not only that, but one where I can learn spiritually and secularly under the same roof.) I live in a country where I enjoy so many freedoms that I often take for granted. When I look outside of myself, and recognize my blessings, I cherish every single day.

Recently, I have learned the best way to live life from my little friends...
They are all about 3 years old. A few wise points I've learned from them:
  • love unconditionally
  • smile and laugh all day long
  • find joy in simple pleasures
  • forgive quickly
  • have faith
  • share your feelings
  • keep progressing
  • trust others
  • make friends easily
  • be teachable
  • never give up
  • be creative
  • try new things
  • always be yourself
  • appreciate life

2 comments:

Katie C Kirkham said...

I remember that phase so well...ok we are technically still in that phase until Baby Emory gets here, BUT I really liked how you said to take advantage of the moments you have now. I still can go to the mall without having to pack up a baby, I can still eat ice cream for dinner if I so choose (although I think Emory and I will do that at least once a month when shes bigger) etc. etc. JUST LOVE YOU GIRLY and I am REALLY pulling for Georgia for grad school. (I think I pray for it a little too often)

Dan and Heather said...

What an awesome reminder! It's so easy to get caught up in life and forget to take a step back and be amazed at the beauties and wonders of this world and life in general! And children are such good examples!