3.20.2012

Rainbow and the Monster Box


I recently began volunteering with this organization called Girls On The Run: a character-development, self-esteem building running group for girls ages 8-11.

Last week, our activity was about Self-Talk. We all wrote down on notecards Negative things that we say to ourselves, whether out loud or in our heads. We then took turns running through a tunnel, and all the way to the edge of the field with our notecards. 

One by one, we placed them in the Monster Box. It was far away and took some effort to get to it. But after feeding the Negativity to the Monster, each girl came sprinting across the field, back to the giggling, cheering group. Her hair blowing in the wind and a huge smile slapped across her face. 

Rid of the heavy weight of the "I'm not good enough", "I'm so ugly", I'm too slow", I'm really stupid", "I'm lonely", and "I just can't", she was free to embrace the Positives. 

"Yes, I can"
"I am smart"
"I am strong"
"I am talented"
"I am a good friend"
"I am beautiful"

I put the cold, dark Thursday in the Monster Box. 

I am practicing Positive.


Friday brought colors!

A surprise.
Balloons, bright, round, happy.
Filled my car to the brim.
Each stuffed with love. A note, Sincere.
Positives. Lifting me up. Light. 
My man is so good to me.


A friend came to visit, needing a rainbow.
God gave her a two. A double.
Colors, the most vibrant we'd ever seen.
After rain, the sun makes beauty of its remnants.





1 comment:

jennyjones said...

HF knew i needed that double rainbow. He knew you needed it, too.

may i add that there were also many many many beautiful and vibrant colors in the giant plate of nachos AND two fancy pizzas we had for dinner that night. also sheldon sports superbly colorful tshirts.