
(don't freak out, mom.)
I'm really talking about sleeping. You know: drooling, snoring, flopping, REM cycle-ing, dreaming, fetal position, beauty sleeping.
Its just one of the most important things we humans do. On average, we each sleep away about 1/3 of our entire lives. WHAT? That's crazy.
Sleep is important. No one doubts that. But how to get the most out of your sleeping hours?
Good thing we have a comfy bed- One of the only new, 'real' pieces of furniture we bought to start our life as a couple.
Now that we've been sleeping on our lovely bed for 2 years.... Jonny calls me the 'Bed Nazi'.
Yes.
Sadly, its true. I'm very picky about sleeping things. I'm a girl who loves camping and can rough-it with the best of them on the hard, cold ground in a tight sleepingbag with no pillow. I'm a girl who has slept in planes and airports and train stations and many a living room floor. I'm not very picky about much. I think I'm pretty easy to live with.
But at our house, when it comes to bedtime, I'm a stickler.
The bed must be made. Even if it's only 5 minutes before we get into it.
The sheets must be smooth. Especially the top one. And the bottom one must be wrapped around the bottom of the mattress.
The cover must be evenly distributed.
Both must be turned down together, so the sheet does not get crumpled to the bottom.
The pillows must be fluffy. And I need exactly 2. Three is too many. One is not enough.
No pants are to be worn in bed. Shorts, ok. But not pants. Socks are fine as long as they stay on your feet.
Face must be washed before putting it onto the fresh pillowcase.
Teeth must be brushed before giving good-night kisses.
Sounds nice, doesn't it? You'd want to sleep in my bed, wouldn't you?
My dear Jonny, however, is content to fling off his clothes and jump into bed. No matter what the covers are doing, no matter where the sheet is or which pillow he grabs. Sleep is sleep and he wants it. A lot of it. Why waste time primping and priming?
(Not to mention the habits we each have DURING sleep that make nights interesting sometimes. To cuddle or not to cuddle? Back, stomach, or side? Lots of covers or lots of sheet? etc.)
Just one of the many tiny things we've learnt-(ed?) about each other and compromises of living with another person who does things a little (or a lot) differently than you do.
Oh the joys of marriage. :) Sleeping together is just one of them.
2 comments:
hahaha I can totally relate Mary! :) This made me smile.
Mary, you're awesome. I am now inspired to make my bed today. :)
Post a Comment